How to Setup an IKEv2 VPN in Windows 10 in 5 Minutes
Internet Key Exchange version 2 (IKEv2) is a tunneling protocol based on IPsec that establishes secure VPN communications between VPN devices and defines security association negotiation and authentication processes. You can install it on Windows 10 by following the steps given in the article.
IKEv2/IPsec, or IKEv2 VPN, is a popular security protocol used by popular VPN providers. A tunneling and data-transporting tunnel (IPsec) is combined with a key management protocol (IKEv2).
Is IKEv2 better than OpenVPN?
With IKEv2, you can connect faster and more reliably than ever before, and you can also enjoy the groundbreaking feature of auto-reconnection. When your device switches between internet sources, it will automatically re-establish your VPN connection. It is possible to provide high assurances with IKEv2 if you are looking for a VPN service that is robust and strong.
IKEv2/IPsec uses the AES-256-GCM cipher for encryption, along with SHA2-384 for integrity. Using 3072-bit Diffie Hellmann keys, this is combined with perfect forward secrecy (PFS).
The IKEv2/IPSec protocol is part of a long line of protocols, each building upon the strengths of its predecessor. In contrast to other VPN protocols such as Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) and Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP/IPsec), OpenVPN excels in both speed and security.
How to set up an IKEv2 VPN connection on Windows 10
You will need the following to set up an IKEv2 VPN connection on Windows 10:
- A secure VPN connection;
- An internet connection;
- Access to your VPN Account Panel
In our example, we will use Namecheap’s FastVPN services and its features to set up a VPN connection on Windows 10.
1. On your device, tap the Windows icon at the bottom left to open the Settings menu.
2. From the Settings menu, select Network & Internet:
3. From the Network & Internet menu on the left, select VPN:
4. In the VPN page that opens, click the Add a VPN connection:
5. You will need to enter the following information:
- VPN Provider: Windows (built-in)
- Connection Name: VPN Built In.
- Server name or address: Select your preferred server from the VPN Account Panel
- VPN Type: IKEv2
- Type of sign-in info: Username and password
- User Name: Your VPN account username from the FastVPN Account Panel
- Password: your VPN account password from the FastVPN Account Panel
Note: If you copy your credentials from the Account panel and paste them into the login fields, please ensure there are no spaces between them.
After configuring all the settings, click Save:
6. Under Related settings on the VPN tab, click Change Adapter options:
7. Your browser will redirect you to the Network Connections window. Right-click the IKEv2 VPN connection you established. Select Properties > Networking > IPv4 > Properties > Advanced and check the box next to the Use default gateway on remote network:
8. Close the Network Connections window by clicking OK.
9. From your VPN settings window, click the Connect button to establish an IKEv2 VPN connection.
Here now you know how to install an IKEv2 VPN in Windows!