How to Make Google Classroom Dark Mode in Chrome and Firefox
If you are wondering how to enable Google Classroom Dark Mode, then this article is for you. In this article, we will explain what Google Classroom is and how to enable its dark mode for free (no subscriptions and no in-app purchases are required).
Google Classroomis a free online learning platform that is developed by Google, designed to simplify the creation, distribution, and grading of assignments for educational institutions. Google Classroom was created with the primary purpose of streamlining the process of sharing files between teachers and students. The first public initial release date was on 12 August 2014. It is available for Android, iOS, and web platforms.
However, working with the default white theme of Google Classroom for long periods can be a nightmare. Having the dark mode on Google Classroom is the perfect choice for those who need a fresh breath of air and are looking to relax their eyes.
Is There a Built-in Google Classroom Dark Mode?
The Google Classroom website does not come with the option to be displayed in dark mode by default. You will get a bright shining page if you open the website, which is not good for children and students who have sensitive eyes because they will get a website that is too bright and loud. For a laptop, your battery life can be saved by switching to a dark mode, so you can reduce the brightness of the screen and save battery life.
How to Enable Google Classroom Dark Mode?
There are several Chrome browser extensions that you can use to achieve it, and they are free to use. The free Chrome extensions help you to activate dark mode on webpages outside of Google Classroom, and you can use it on whatever website you want.
You can use this Google Classroom Night Mode version on your favorite web browser if you are a regular desktop internet user.
Follow the steps here below on how to enable this free solution in your web browser:
- Turn Off the Lights is a browser extension that you can download
- Right-click on the gray lamp button and then select the Options option from the menu that appears
- On the Turn Off the Lights Options page, select the tab Night Mode from the list of tabs
- Here you can enable the Night switch or use the long-press feature to activate the night mode on the current web page by activating it here
You can also change the background and text colors of the website as well as the hyperlink colors. In this way, you can make it personal to the style of your night theme. As well as getting the Dark Mode on Google Classroom that you want to see in your browser.
There is no built-in option for you to choose a dark theme within the Google Classroom website nor in any of the Google Classroom apps available for Android and iOS (iPhone/iPad). But there is a way to use this service in dark mode with the help of the Stylish Chrome extension that allows you to use it in dark mode. With Stylish, you can easily enable dark mode for any of the websites that you use. There is good integration between the Stylish Extension and several major browsers, such as Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Safari.
Follow these simple steps to install and apply the dark mode.
- Open the web stores in the browser that you are using (e.g. Chrome Web Store if you are using Chrome).
- Choose the extension from the list of suggestions when you search for Stylish Extension.
- Install the Stylish Extension for your browser and then you are ready to go.
- Then you will need to sign in to your Gmail account by going to the Google Classroomwebsite and entering your password.
- You will find the Stylish icon at the top right corner of the screen of your browser.
- The next step is to choose a Dark Theme from the library of your browser to use.
It will now be automatically changed to a dark background in Google Classroom when you open it. Once the theme has been installed, the theme will appear on the screen.
Another good option to use is the Dark Reader in Chrome browser, and it works perfectly fine like other extensions.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Open the Google Chrome browser. You will need to open Chrome from your computer or laptop and go to the Web Store
- Search Dark Reader. As shown in the above image, you can search ‘Dark Reader’ in the search bar of the Web Store to find it
- Click the Add to Chrome button. When the first search result appears, click the ‘Add to Chrome’ button to install the extension in Chrome after you open the first result
- Enable Dark mode
Activating dark mode is as simple as clicking on the Dark Reader icon located in the right top bar, clicking on the enable toggle, and selecting ‘On’ to enable the dark mode. In case you do not find the extension in the top bar, go to More tools > Extensions, find the Dark reader, and enable it.
When you enable Google Classroom’s Dark mode, you will be able to use it in the dark theme, and the whole interface will be changed from a light theme to a dark theme. You have the option to change the dark mode, increase or decrease the brightness, or contrast, depending on how comfortable you are with it.
There are a wide variety of websites that you can use in the dark mode with this extension, such as Google, Bing, Wikipedia, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and so on.
Dark Mode for Firefox
The Firefox browser also has an extension store that works a lot like the Google Chrome Web Store where you can download any extension you like. Here is how you can download Dark Reader to enable dark mode in Classroom.
Firstly, go to your desktop and open the Firefox web browser.
- You can find add-ons at addons.mozilla.org
- Open the first result that appears when you search for ‘Dark Reader’.
- To download the extension, click on the blue “Add to Firefox” button at the bottom of the page.
- As soon as it has been installed, it will appear in the right top bar of your Firefox browser. You can find it by clicking on it.
- You can turn ‘On’ Dark Mode on your Classroom dashboard by opening Dark Reader and selecting ‘On’ Dark Mode.
More Chrome Extensions
There are numerous Dark theme extensions in addition to Stylish, including Dark Mode, Dark Reader, Dark Display, Night Eye, Midnight Lizard, and many more. They are all available free of charge on the Chrome web store.
How to Enable Google Classroom Dark mode on Mobile App
On the Google Classroom mobile version (Android & iOS), there doesn’t seem to be a way to change the background of Google Classroom to dark. Even though you have enabled the dark mode on your smartphone, Google Classroom will not have a dark background irrespective of what settings you have on it. The user has to wait for Google to release an official update that will include a dark mode feature before he or she can start using it.
It is now clear to you, that it is possible to change the background of Google Classroom to a dark color. It is the only way to use this Google service in a dark theme that you need to install a browser extension. Several Google products don’t have dedicated dark mode features, such as Google News, Google Assistant, and Google Discover. Hopefully, Google will be able to add a dark mode option to its future updates soon.
Comment below your thoughts on the Google Classroom dark mode.